Random thoughts

"Live to the point of tears" - Camus

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Reopenings

This weekend, two wonderful things happened.

The first was the return of the Crescent City Farmer's Market on the corner of Magazine and Girod. Neil and I decided to go there on our bikes. That happened to be the first time I would get to ride my bike here in New Orleans. The ride was actually pleasant. The weather was great and there weren't a lot of cars on the road so I wasn't worried of getting run over at any time. It was surprising for me that riding on big streets is actually better than riding on the smaller ones, since cars have a lot of room to get around you. Would never have thought that before.

The market was packed with people. We bought a few things... Ponchatula strawberries (supposed to be one of the best kinds), turnips, sausages and even a small basil plant that's in our window sill now. Still couldn't muster enough courage to buy shrimps or crabs though. Maybe in time.

The other thing was the reopening of the New Orleans Museum of Art last Sunday. Erin, Dalton and I went to that one while Neil was at his Kendo class. It was nice to be outside and to see the museum and City Park in such great shape. There were a lot of people there. It was almost a miracle that we actually found a parking space. It was actually a great parking space because we ended up right next to the art market.





There were some really neat things at the market. I was glad to see the stall that sold New Orleans-themed magnets and bought one to replace the one we lost when they threw our refrigerator away. I actually found a magnet with the exact same design as the one we lost.



After walking around the whole art market, we decided to have lunch, but the line for the only food stall at the event was kilometric, and Dalton was really hungry, so we headed out to Metairie and ended up eating at Cane's. Chicken fingers... mmmmm. After lunch we passed by Borders and browsed before finally heading back home.

I guess the best thing about this weekend was that it made the city feel almost normal again. Life is back, and growing strong in the city. Whopee!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home